Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Length, Width, Height

Something’s are just easier when you know less about them. I’ve experienced my ill-experience of framing art and all the rules and tricks to making it right- and now it’s hanging curtains. To get the look I want it’s no longer: just go buy something in a pack that’s the right color to go on my window. 

The past two times that Vlad and I hung curtains I just eye-balled where I wanted the curtain to hang and without really measuring out how far out and how down low I wanted the curtain to be- we just hung. I just cared how straight it hung--- and Vlad is our natural leveler, I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler! Each time, after the curtains were hung straight, I wished that they were lower to the floor and were out wider than the window. So after the first time I decided that NEXT time I will consider all that and measure; however when the second time came around I forgot what I promised myself… so I decided NEXT time again. So here we are at the NEXT time after the previous NEXT time (our third time). [We have moved 3 times since September 2011- more on that later, maybe].
The apartment we are living in now has the infamous lovely vertical blinds that hang on the outside of the window pane which means that I needed to order brackets that would go out at least 4.8” from the wall. And since they are my favorite vertical blinds I want to cover them up a bit with a sheer curtain… which means I need 2 more brackets that would adjust to go out even more than the 4.8”… so after searching for something practical and priced well… I scored 4 brackets for about $15.

The brackets came in and I decided to take care of business. Last night I grabbed the step stool and started measuring out to plot out where I wanted Vlad to put the hardware for the curtain rods; however, since I don’t have the curtains I just need to measure how tall, low, and wide I want the curtains hung.

First I am starting with our bedroom. I really want the curtains to hit the floor to add that fluffy pretty drama, and promise myself to be sure to vacuum and shake off any collected dust. I’m aiming for about 5-6” to be on the floor…. This is where the measuring will come in that I have never done before… how wide and how tall--- then this will determine where I go shop… hopefully it will steer me to Joanne’s--- that way I can get something specific.
Bedroom without curtains:


Bedroom with curtains:
In Process

2 comments:

  1. I've always had trouble with this as well!! It really is worth it to just take time and measure everything out :) I'm loving the color in your room, very soft and romantic looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia!!

    Let's hope I get this right.... This time :)

    ReplyDelete